Thursday, July 11, 2013

Veggie Storm

Growing up I spent my summers on Westmont Ave. in Lavallette. My sister and brother and some other shore friends of ours, ran up and down the docks of Barnagaet Bay crabbing and fishing. The days were spent playing on the beach, running away from my mother and the sunscreeen. We took to our bikes at night on Rt. 35 looking for Milkyway Ice Cream or Salty's if we felt adventurous, and then begging my mother for aloe and cried when it was too cold.I had a crush on the boy across the lagoon and I was convinced that we were going to get married once I got up enough nerve to say hello. Like cucumbers my sister ruined that too, when she taped up a pair of my underwear to my bedroom window. That tiny stretch of land holds my most beautiful memories to date. My husband and I were so excited to rent our own place this year, and similarly to the cucumber fiasco on my 8th birthday, Sandy ruined the shore. 

So I am in Penn Yan, New York. It's no Jersey Shore, but the Fingerlakes are beautiful. The wineries are amazing and I'm ready to sample some local cuisine tonight! (Most restaurants are only open Thurs.-Sun.) Since we had to cook last night (in a rental kitchen! Oy!) my husband made filet mignon wrapped in bacon and I made a veggie storm, during a crazy thunder storm! Both of them were beautiful storms and both had a rainbow of sorts at the end. 

had to keep it simple this week, since I've been very busy wine tasting I haven't had time to research many recipes for our ingredients and as we have minimal spices and equiptment in our rental kitchen. 

I simply boiled those beautiful green beans and served with butter, salt and pepper. PERFECT.
I roasted those giant green zucchini's with olive oil, salt, pepper and parmesaen cheese.
I roasted those mini potatoes with a spring onion and the Capital Hill spice pack. Oh my goodness, that has to be my favorite spice pack to date. Which is how I created a veggie storm. 

While cooking I was getting frustrated because I was concerned that I wouldn't have anything to write about for my blog. The storm clouds started to fade and I saw the rainbow after the storm and it hit me. Keep it simple. Keep it all simple, spend time with your family, laugh with the people you love, read a book, and take some time for yourself each day. 

Enjoy your own recipes this week and make some good memories while you're at it. 












1 comment:

  1. What is more personal than the cucumber story?! I am sure Mama Byrne is proud haha - I am loving the blog Laura! As I sit and read it I can hear it all in your voice and picture you doing and saying these things, and I am cracking up! Keep it up! ;)

    ReplyDelete