Monday, July 8, 2013

Farm Booze

My Mom told me I needed to be more personal on my blog. Who does she think she is Susie Fogelson? This is not Next Food Network Star mother....

At the end of the school year my fellow teacher friends and I went out for happy hour after spending hours packing up our rooms and grading a billion tests. Our drinks took FOREVER to get to our table and after tons of whining they arrived. Even though it took approximately 45 minutes there it was...my mojito and everything was oooookkaaayyyy! 

Dreyer farms gave us mint and limes this week, and they were so beautiful I had to use them! I could not think of a better way  to use these ingredients but in a spectacular cocktail. 

Blueberry Mojitos
 (or Bro-jitos as my brother's college roommates called them because they couldn't stop drinking them!)

You will need: 
24 oz. of Seltzer or Club Soda 
Juice of 4 Limes (I used as much fresh as I could get and then use a little bottled) 
12 oz. of White Rum (I used Bicardi...heeeyyyy)
1 cup of Blueberries 
1 healthy bunch of fresh Mint, I would aim for about 20-30 mint leaves, depending on your mint preferences.
1/4 cup of Sugar 



The fresh blueberries were simply perfect this week. I smooshed (that is the technical term), in my mortar & pestle before adding them to the drink. I did leave some whole for fun.  
First add mint leaves and sugar to  your pitcher. I used the end of a wooden spoon to muddle the mint and sugar. Add the lime juice, rum and blueberry smoosh. Since I was making a pitcher of this I added the seltzer to the rum mixture but if you want to make them to order you're supposed to pour ice and club soda into two tall glasses and then pour in rum mixture and give it a gentile stir.
The best part about homemade cocktails is that you can make everything to taste. Is it not sweet enough for you? Add more sugar love. Would you like a stronger buzz? Add more rum. 
Hope everyone had a beautiful 4th of July! 
Aaaannnnd a very happy birthday to this guy. My Dad. <3 

- Laura 

*Dreyer Farm is not sponsoring this blog. 

1 comment:

  1. ahh sounds so refreshing!! Cant wait to try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete