Monday, July 8, 2013

Pickle Me

Let's celebrate 627 blog hits with pickles! Mom... did you read my blog 627 times? 

I'm not going to lie to you. I loathe cucumbers. But there is a very good reason for it. On my 8th birthday we were at the Ground Round and my family and I were having the best night ever. I'm pretty sure a Julia Roberts movie was playing on the wall and I specifically remember my chicken fingers being extra crispy and I can still look down and see my powder blue birthday dress; 1993 was going to be my year. My vegetarian of a little sister quickly ruined EVERYTHING after she got cucumber sick all over the table. I haven't eaten one since, and I'm sorry if I just ruined them for you. I still remember her walking to the car from the Ground Round in my younger brother's SpiderMan pajama's and her "high heels." While I'm laughing now, I'm still not eating cucumbers. 

I will eat pickles, and I did pickle today. When I saw the pickles in my Farm Box this week I knew what I had to do. 

While educating myself on pickling veggies, I found this video on about.com. How to Pickle...Warning: This guy is so lame. Even though this man is zero fun to watch, it's so simple to follow. 

Take the guessing out and sanitize the mason jar. I did, really easy to do and I now feel like Botulism and I are in a good place. 

My Pickles: 

2 cups of distilled white vinegar 
1 cup of water 
4.4 oz. of salt. (I measured this in oz. since the brine recipe from about.com called for 3/4 of a cup of salt, I just used my food scale). 
Pickling Spice (as much or as little as you like! I bought the McCormick brand and used about 2 Tbsp.) 
2 cloves of garlic
2 pickles from your Dreyer Fram Fresh Box 

Boil the liquid and the salt until the salt dissolves. 
Add hot mixture to pickles and spices in jar.
Put in fridge for 2 weeks. 

Here's to hoping I've got great pickles in two weeks. These pickles could very well be a disaster, but that's what this is all about isn't it?




Anyone care to share their pickling adventures? 

-Laura 





No comments:

Post a Comment