Monday, August 12, 2013

Kitchen Sink Pizza

As August rushes by I am finding it harder and harder to keep up! 

At last weeks lovely cooking demo, a lot of people were saying they were having a hard time using all of their veggies. Last year I found myself in the same boat, it is such a shame when something goes bad! I came up with this little number last summer, and you can use a TON of your veggies. The first time I made it, it was so delicious that I made it again the following week...and although we ate the pizza, that night ended with the fire department blowing carbon monoxide out of my house at 3am because I left the burner on (oooooooops....). I was frustrated because I had burnt the first crust, and by then it was already 9pm and I was exhausted from a long day at camp, I think we ended up eating at 11pm that night. Needless to say I am much safer in the kitchen because of that night. 

You will need: 

Any veggie you'd like! 

I use...

2 Zucchini and/or Summer Squash 
Eggplant 
Kale 
Tomato 
Onion
1 Bag of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese 
1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese 
Olive Oil
Fresh Garlic
Garlic Powder 
Salt + Pepper 
Pizza Dough 
(If I have them sometimes I will add potato, mushrooms, or peppers)

First add olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to roughly chopped eggplant. Roast the eggplant in the oven at about 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. I leave the skin on.

Caramelize those onions baby! Chop/Slice them anyway you'd like. Remove from pan.

I add the zucchini to the same pan as the onion to get some of that yummy sweet brown onion sweetness.I saute sliced zucchini in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Remove from pan.

Saute the Kale in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic last (in the same pan as onion/zucchini)! It only takes about 3 minutes. 

(YES...YOU MAKE A MESS)

Next, roll out the pizza dough. Bake the crust at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes. 

Take out the crust and...

First goes the kale bed. 
Next the onion, I like it to be a surprise under the other veggies. 
Now the sliced Zucchini. 
Chopped Eggplant goes next. 
Cheese. Cheese. Cheese. 

Bake it for another 5 minutes. 

Fresh tomato on the top! 
(not on my side though...yeah yeah I know...the summer chef doesn't eat tomatoes...)

Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Red Pepper Flake, Fresh Basil to taste.

You have a hearty, tasty, healthy-ish (you use a LOT of O.O.), fresh, funky pizza. 

And now you have to clean it up...since you've used everything but the kitchen sink.






1 comment: